Huge Youngstown weekend: Arts Festival, Cycle TourEvents — Posted on July 7, 2010 at 5:13 pm
If the Northside Farmers Market reopening this Saturday, July 10 from 9am-noon at the Unitarian Church on Wick Park were all that was happening, it would be enough reason for celebration.
But this is no ordinary weekend. It’s nothing less than the biggest weekend of the year for Youngstown events. Bring your friends. Bring your strangers. There’s guaranteed to be something for everyone.
We’ll start the weekend Saturday morning at 9am at Harrison Field (on Walnut Street) in Smoky Hollow for the Family Fun Walk. Those of you so inclined can join in the 5K run. (Registration begins at 7:45am.)
At 10am, the Summer Festival of the Arts events on and around campus kick off. Some highlights:
- St. Nicholas Greek Summerfest on Walnut Street. An excellent spot for lunch. (Opens at 11am.)
- Artists’ Marketplace. Just stroll through the center of campus to explore offerings from notable Valley (and visiting) artists.
- Festival of Nations. Another lunch or snack option, right behind Maag Library.
- SMARTS drum circle there. I wouldn’t miss it.
- McDonough Museum of Art. YWCA’s 28th Annual Women Artists.
- Children’s Hands-On Art Projects. Family friendly? You bet.
- Youngstown Historical Center of Industry and Labor. Enjoy free admission to the “Steel Museum” at 151 West Wood Street.
- Steel Valley Voices Workshop. “Exploring Family History: Interviews and Storytelling” at Maag Library.
- Hourly programs at Ward Beecher Planetarium
- Live performances all day long
Now, when you’ve gotten your fill, head downtown for the 7pm Youngstown Jazz Festival in Central Square. You can buy a ticket at the Summer Festival of the Arts.
Rest well Saturday night, because it’s all happening again Sunday. With the notable addition of the Tour of the Valley professional bicycle race going on downtown. We really enjoyed watching this last year, and you can sit out on the street enjoying food and refreshments from your favorite West Federal Street establishments.
There are several races in progressive levels of competition. Here’s the schedule:
- Men Cat 4/5 – 9am
- Masters 40+ – 9:45am
- Juniors – 9:48am
- Men Cat 3 – 10:45am
- Pro Women 1/2/3 & Women Cat 4 – 12pm
- Pro Men 1/2 – 1:10pm
$20,000 in prizes are up for grabs!
Get downtown this weekend and enjoy the epic weekend. Look forward to seeing you there!
Popularity: 15% [?]